Thursday, March 29, 2012

Solo Ride To Kanyakumari - 2


 I woke up around 5:30, I had packed my bag last night. I checked out of Kendra and started with my journey to Madurai by 6:15. I took the same road by which I had came. I was greeted with beautiful sunrise when i reached NH7. I stopped for tea gazing at beautiful sun coming out of huge windmills. 






And once again I was on road to cover 250 kms to reach Madurai. Plan was to reach there by 10 and spend four hours as I had heard temple complex is very big and it will surely take couple of hours to see it completely. I took small breaks for breakfast and air check or to fill petrol. And as per the plan I reached Madurai by 10:15. I had covered 246 kms. Directly I went to temple, road was straightforward no hassles in finding the temple. I entered the temple through south gopuram and was amazed to see the magnificence of the temple. Though I have seen bigger temple like Tanjavur, but these gopurams are colorful with hundreds of statues of god’s.
Once you enter the temple first thing you notice is a colorful ceiling painted with flower designs or picture of gods.  Temple has big lake inside its campus, but it was dry may be due maintenance. As you move ahead, on your left you will find entrance to Meenaxi temple. There is ticket to have darshan, Rs 15 or Rs 100, of course I took ticket of Rs.15.
;) Fortunately my queue was moving almost at the same speed. This section of Meenaxi temple is smaller compared to Sundareshwar temple. There was not much rush, I had peaceful darshan and came out to a bigger section of Shiva temple. And this was not just big it was huge. All sections are of quadrangle shape and at the centre of it lays the idol.

Below picture is of outside walls of the Sundareshawar temple. Almost 100 meter is length and with beautiful carving on pillars, but not as fine as Helebidu or Belur temples. Those temples have delicate and fine carvings but this one big and beautiful. Once I came out of Sundareshwar temple I was not sure where exactly I am. I went back in and traversed the same route I came from and went to same position from where I entered the Meenakshi temple. Then I downloaded the plan of the temple to make sure that I don’t miss any thing. Next thing to see was 1000 pillar hall. I had to literally ask shop owners inside the temple about where it is. Can you imagine the being in such a big temple?
Outer Corridor Of Sundareshwar Temple

Temple is amazing and my words cannot justify its magnificence and beauty. Better you go through below pictures or visit the temple yourself.
 
Thousand Pillars Hall
South Gopuram
Once I came out of the temple, I searched for decent place to eat. After having lunch I started my journey back to Bangalore. I was on my bike again at 2:15. And plan was to reach Bangalore by 10. No wonder it was too hot on the road. I took frequent breaks though only after covering at least 50-60 kms in a single stretch. It was 6 when I reached Salem. I had covered 234 km and had to go another 200. Traffic was huge after Salem and it was unbearable to drive completely exhausted. Last 100 kms was tough. But I thought of not taking breaks and not stop till I reach Bangalore. I did not even thought of having dinner, as after having it one feels sleepier. It was 9:30 exactly in my clock when I reached Electronic City Flyover tollgate. I might have reached in another 15 minutes at home.

            First thing I checked when I came back home was my Molly fish. Thanks god we both had survived the experience.



View Larger Map


10 comments:

MoreeTG said...

Nice trip. Kanyakumari is on my list since long, let's see when I will be able to do it. And yes, taking a bike journey alone is fun...

Ajay said...

Thanks Moree. Couldn't agree more on Riding solo.

Unknown said...

really it is gret temple

Unknown said...

hinduism have three crores devotees. they are showins as statues in meenakshi temple. so every hindu must visit this temple

Unknown said...

It's very good

Unknown said...

it is very great

Unknown said...

it is wonder ful

swathiLBC said...

wow it is wonder ful

swathiLBC said...

wow it is wondur ful

swathiLBC said...

it is good