Thursday, March 29, 2012

Solo Ride To Kanyakumari - 1

Kanyakumari was in plan for very very long time, unfortunately when Jitu planned the trip with other guys I could not join them. So the desire to go was more stronger. I didn't know i was going to do it solo and also on bike. When i saw 3 day long weekend coming few days back, i thought of going by bus. But later thought came to do it on bike and I did it. Visiting north and south tip of india on one's bike has different kind of satisfaction and achievement. And bikers will know it.

I started preparation of trip by most imp thing i.e. servicing the bike. Other than that I have tyre puncture kit and air foot pump. So that was also taken care of. I had no plan about visiting the places or things to do when I reach there. I just wanted to take as it comes. I packed the bag Thursday night. Started next morning at 5:15. Early morning gives a head start with less traffic on roads. 




Plus early morning breeze feels good on bike. I had crossed Salem and stopped for breakfast on roadside eatery. I texted Jitu about my plan and how many kms were still left to reach destination. Jitu replied with appreciation and encouragement and asking to keep him informed about my whereabouts. NH7 is really good and very well maintained without which it is not possible to cover 650 odd kms in a day. I could easily drive at 100 kmph. When I texted jitu it was 9:45 and I had covered almost 300 kms in 5 hrs, 363 was to be covered. With breaks for tea and lunch I reached Kanyakumari by 3:30. I thought it not bad, I could drive 650 kms in a day. That was something I had discovered about myself, i was reluctant to cover that much in single day in our earlier plan.                                                                                       

Once i reached there, I went directly Vivekananda Kendra (a non profit organisation) which has accommodation facility. Fortunately I got decent room to stay. Once i checked in room, I informed jitu and couple of friends.




I got to know from Kendra reception that ferry service will stop from 4pm so I could not visit Vivekananda rock memorial. There are very few things worth the visit in Kanyakumari itself. Vivekananda Rock memorial and Great Tamil poet Thiruvalluvar statue and Kannaykumari temple were the things on my list. I spent my evening on the shore clicking pics and observing people. Later I saw sunset and headed back to my room, by 7:45 I had dinner. I went to bed soon after. No wonder I was tired like hell from driving continuously for 10 hours. And next day I had to get up early morning to see the sunrise. 
I woke up at 5:45 to see the sunrise, way before I could hear birds chirping. I reached the sunrise point by 6:15. There was huge crowd gathered to see the sunrise. I had never seen so many people gathered just to see sunrise. And indeed it was beautiful. The one which calms your mind, makes you peaceful and content.  I returned back to room to get take bath and have breakfast. Soon returned back to visit Vivekananda rock memorial to which ferry starts from sea shore at 8 am.
Rock memorial has a quite a history about it. Around 1960, people of Kanyakumari started thinking about constructing a monument on the rock. To start with it, they formed one committee. But when news started spreading about construction of such monument. There were oppositions from local catholic fishermen claiming the rock belonged to them. And they installed one big cross visible from shore. The dispute went to court and decision was given in favour of Vivekananda committee. Hurdles to come in way to construct monument were far from over. There were opposition from Cultural minister of that time stating it will ruin the natural beauty of Rock. Almost same time Ramkrishna Mission too had similar plans to construct such monument. But Kanyakumari committee and Ramkrishan Mission both needed a strong personality who can  negotiate with Madras as well as Central Government. Mr Eknathji Ranade was approached by people to head this mission who then had retired from post of General Secretary of RSS. 
He was intellectual and influential man who then went on to promote the mission of constructing the monument. He obtained all signatures of all 320 odd MPs on a letter requesting Prime Minister. Once the permission was obtained, there were many other problems as financial, design of monument, architectural problems - whether rock will be able to support such construction or not. But the man charged with mission and love of hindu religion in his heart, there was no stopping for him. And after 9 years of hardwork in 1972, it was inaugurated by Vice President of India V V Giri. Later Eknathaji Ranade found Vivekananda Kendra a spiritual organisation in Kanykumari to spread the message of Vivekananda. Vivekananda kedra has two museums which depict the life of Mr Eknathji Ranade and Swami Vivekananda.
Memorial has a two structures one has big statue of Vivekananda and other one contains a footprint of goddess on the rock. Right below Vivekananda structure there is meditation hall with big OM. Its wonderful experience to meditate in such a sacred place.  And no wonder why the great man choose this rock for his meditation. Other than that memorial has few book stalls where you can buy works of Vivekananda available in various languages. Ferry to Thiruvalluvar statue was closed due to maintenance hence could not visit the statue.

Once I came back on shore it was 12:30, I took bike and thought of having a ride through town. Kanyakumari town itself is very small and much commercialized with many hotels and shops selling from seashells to anything what you get anywhere else. And I don't understand why people buy things at such places what they can buy anywhere else too. Anyway while roaming I found the actual sunset point from where one can see the sun going down into the sea. Happy to have found the new place to see sunset I returned back to Kendra to have lunch. Rest of the day was not planned except Sunset. Kendra has their own private beach but has a big wall compound to reach beach which is closed for whole day. Its open only for an hour in morning and evening. But I went anyway to take a look. There is very good statute of Vivekananda just beside the beach of kendra. After visiting the statue I  found the place on right most corner where I could jump the wall compound and reach the beach. Nobody was there on the beach excpet me :) felt like private beach.  Weather was pleasant, wind blowing through hair, only sound of waves and nothing else. I could see monument at long distance and sea other side as long eye can reach. And here I was at the southernmost tip of India. Having satisfaction of visited the Northern and Southern most tip India on my bike.  
And thought came to mind “Sea is life, and people are like waves and you are shore. Some people come in your life like waves and go back leaving only memories behind.”
I spent couple of hours at the beach. Clicked some photos after a while. Came back at Kendra, took some rest and went to see the sunset in the evening. Sunset was amazing at this point much better than what i had seen yesterday.



Once I came back at kendra it was 7:30, and went to see the museum inside kedra on life of Eknathaji Ranade. Here I met Mamaji, 77 year old man who had spent his whole life for the social cause. After I saw the museum I went on discussing things with Mamaji about his life and work he had done in Kendra. This man had fascinating stories about Rock Memorial, Eknathaji Ranade and his experiences in Southern India (He is Gujarati). Later story went on to how he came to Kanyakumari from Gujarat. After dinner our talk went on till 11 and it was getting late. I had to start early next morning to reach Madurai to see the Meenakshi temple. When I said I had come on bike, he too had done some biking in his young days. So there followed another story of biking of mamaji :) I said goodbye to Mamaji after having really nice conversation.
Tomorrow I was going to visit the Meenakshi temple of Madurai and cover the long distance to reach Bangalore.

4 comments:

Preethi said...

wow. biking alone all the way to Kanyakumari? you live your dreams. nice blog, ajay. :)

Ajay said...

Thanks Preethi :-)

JAYANT LANKE said...

kanyakumari , its really nice place, basically vivekanand rock memorial. definitely u might have enjoyed all trip on bike. Great Ajay.

Ajay said...

Indeed its a great place to visit. Thanks.